MDE20992 - Castle Hornet, 9 Summerhouse Path, Lynmouth (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
No 9 (Castle Hornet), Summerhouse Path. Probably 18th Century altered, behind Bonnicot, approached by steep lane off Watersmeet Road.2 storey plastered cottage. L-shaped on plan. Slate roof. Casement windows one with diagonal lead glazing. Added 2 storey half-octagonal bay with casements with glazing bars.  High up to the left of the Summerhouse Path, and to the rear of Bonnicot is Castle Hornet a small L-plan 18th – early 19th Century cottage of whitewashed rubble with external axial stack. Windows are casement with two oriels, and the 19th Century entrance door has an over-light with oval glazing bar. The listing detail suggests that the small scale may indicate a possible early date.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Lynton (3 Sept 1973) 18.
- <2> SEM6954 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Lynmouth: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 18.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7243 4932 (10m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 858/1/4/83
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 24071
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/132
Record last edited
Jun 14 2021 4:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.