MDE20966 - Manor House, Eastern Beach, Lynmouth (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Manor house, eastern beach. Mainly early 19th century at the time of inspection owned by the holiday fellowship, the grounds being public. Good position on flat ground between the cliff and the sea on east side of river lyn. Square 2 storey stucco block with 3 window fronts, lower storey rusticated. Parapet. Cornice. Alterations and additions, including 2 large square bays. A house of some age and dignity.  The manor house and attached wall and stable block are listed. This is a detached house in its own grounds, now used as a residential home. It is late 18th or early 19th century in date. The building is rendered with slate roofs. The building consists of a compact square main range, with central portico and lateral open-well stair and a sevice range attached to the east side of the main range. The principal range is in 2 storeys, with 3 windows to each of 3 exposed elevations. The interior of part of main range was inspected, much of the original detail has been removed in successive modifications to the house. The first-floor rooms are accessible from the path to the south side of the building, through broad plank doors. The main block has a stone floor. There is a further detached service block to the east that is not included in the listing. This is a modest gentleman's house, on an important site facing out to sea, the building retains much of its original dignity, but has suffered some loss from nonconforming window replacement and extention.  The terracing wall in the garden are also listed.  The Manor House, of early 19th Century date, although some adjacent cottages and outbuildings appear older, is square and stuccoed with plain parapet. The garden has a large stone balustraded terrace with central steps.  The building is shown on the Lynton Tithe Map as 'Revd Thos Roe's House'.  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The house and stables received a BAR score of 6; the wall was not viewed. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Lynton (3 Sept1973) 6.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Lynton and Lynmouth (9 June 1995) 39.
- <3> SEM6773 Report: Rance, C. + Weddell, P.J.. 1994. Archaeological Assessment of SWW Sewage Treatment Works at Lynton and Lynmouth (Manor House Scheme). P. 4-5.
- <4> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest .
- <5> SEM6954 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Lynmouth: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 15.
- <6> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7248 4959 (43m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 858/1/4/70
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 858/1/4/69/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 858/1/4/69/3
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 858/1/4/69/2
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 24045
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/105
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.