MDE20333 - Bronze Age cairn on Furzehill Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 7336 4441. Marked as a hut circle on the Ordnance Survey 1962 map.  SS 7336 4441 a truncated cairn, 15 paces in diameter and 1 ft high.  SS 7335 4442. A mutilated cairn 14.4 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high.  Cairn B of two cairns some 100 metres apart situated about 350 metres above Ordnance Datum on gentle west facing slopes of Furzehill Common. The area is reclaimed moorland now predominantly rough grassland. SS 73346 44414. It is about 17 metres diameter and 0.5 metres in maximum height and has been extensively robbed, leaving a ragged rim of stoney material 0.5 metres to 2 metres wide with an irregular central depression about 0.4 metres deep. The content of small stones is especially evident around the northern rim. It was obviously this annular ring of stones which led to its interpretation as a hut circle. The western rim of the cairn has been cut and spread by ploughing, probably when the moorland was reclaimed. Although the perimeter is somewhat ragged making precise measurement difficult, it is almost certain that the original diameter of the cairn was about 17 metres. Surveyed at 1:2500.  The cairn is clearly visible on aerial photographs on the west slopes of Furzehill Common. [5,6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. 124.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 17 September 1974.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 September 1994.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 281-82 (16 August 1972).
- <6> SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35391, Extant 11 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7334 4441 (32m by 30m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35391 (Pastscape entry: 35391)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12259
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/51
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1293
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO104
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW23
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35391
Record last edited
Jan 11 2022 5:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.