MDE20332 - Bronze Age cairn on Furzehill Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
(SS 7324 4442) Bowl barrow marked as a hut circle on Ordnance Survey map dating from 1962.  SS 7324 4442. A bowl barrow with a hollow in centre. Diameter 14 paces in height, 3 feet high.  SS 73244442 A bowl barrow 11.8 metres in diameter and up to 0.7 metres high with an 0.3 metre deep central mutilation. Resurveyed at 1:2500.  Cairn A of two cairns some 100 metres apart situated about 350 metres above Ordnance Datum on gentle west facing slopes of Furzehill Common. The area is reclaimed moorland now predominantly rough grassland. SS 73241 44426. It is about 12 metres diameter and up to 1 metre high and has been severely robbed, leaving an irregular rim of stoney material about 2 metres wide, excepting the northnorthwestern and the northeastern sides, and a central depression up to 0.4 metres deep. It is the rim of material which probably led to the original classification as a hut circle. Due to this mutilation it is difficult to be precise about the exact diameter of the cairn but it was probably about 12 metres. Surveyed at 1:2500.  The cairn is clearly visible on aerial photographs on the west slopes of Furzehill Common. [5,6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. 124.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 17 September 1974.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 September 1994.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 281-82 (16 August 1972).
- <6> SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35391, Extant 11 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7324 4441 (27m by 25m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35391 (Pastscape entry: 35391)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12258
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/50
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1293
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO104
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW23
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35391
Record last edited
Jan 11 2022 5:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.