MDE20332 - Bronze Age cairn on Furzehill Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
SS 73244442 Bowl barrow marked as a hut circle on Ordnance Survey map dating from 1969.  A bowl barrow with a hollow in centre. Diameter 14 paces in height, 3 feet high.  The site was visited by the Ordnance Survey in 1974. The feature was measured with a diameter of 11.8 metres and a height of 0.7 metres, with a hole in the middle 0.3 metres deep. Resurveyed at 1:2500.  SS 7324144426. Cairn A of two cairns some 100 metres apart situated about 350 metres above Ordnance Datum on gentle west facing slopes of Furzehill Common. The area is reclaimed moorland now predominantly rough grassland. It is about 12 metres diameter and up to 1 metre high and has been severely robbed, leaving an irregular rim of stoney material about 2 metres wide, excepting the northnorthwestern and the northeastern sides, and a central depression up to 0.4 metres deep. It is the rim of material which probably led to the original classification as a hut circle. Due to this mutilation it is difficult to be precise about the exact diameter of the cairn but it was probably about 12 metres. Surveyed at 1:2500.  The cairn is clearly visible on aerial photographs on the west slopes of Furzehill Common. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. 124.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 17 September 1974.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 September 1994.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 281-82 (16 August 1972).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7324 4441 (27m by 25m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35391 (Pastscape entry: 35391)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12258
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/50
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1293
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO104
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW23
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35391
Record last edited
Mar 20 2015 3:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.