MDE13279 - Deserted medieval or post-medieval farmstead south of Darlick (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A deserted farmstead to the south of Darlick is visible as a series of earthworks. There are several amorphous platforms, the largest of which may represent the domestic building, and measures 14 metres by 8 metres. Others represent the barns and outbuildings. The precise date of the monument is uncertain but they are assumed to be medieval or later.  A leat depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map enters the site from the northeast (see MDE13262). It is not clear whether the two features are contemporary. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North and H Chapman, 12 January 1995. [Mapped feature: #37780 ]
- <2> SEM7404 Unpublished document: Webber, P. + Tapper, H.. 2010. Desertions in North Molton Parish.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 2 May 2020.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1053948, Extant 6 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7776 3332 (110m by 113m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1053948 (Pastscape entry: 1053948)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60644
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/534/1
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE56
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1053948
Record last edited
Oct 6 2021 2:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.