MDE13262 - Post-medieval leat southeast of Darlick Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A well defined leat southeast of Darlick. The ditch measures 0.7 metres deep and 1.3 metres wide with a lower bank 0.3 metres high and 1.5 metres high. [1,2] The course of the leat is also shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, running northeast from the spring head of the River Mole at SS 7840 3310 to SS 7782 3336.  The leat appears to flow to the deserted farmstead south of Darlick (MDE13279). It is not clear whether the two features are contemporary. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 56(5).
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. HP Chapman and R Wilson-North, 16 January 1995.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 2 May 2020.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7809 3322 (639m by 277m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1053784 (Pastscape entry: 1053784)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE39
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1053784
Record last edited
May 2 2020 10:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.