MDE13263 - Darlick Farmstead, North Molton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The settlement of 'Darlock' is first mentioned in the 1651 Survey of Exmoor.  A farmstead named 'Darlick' appears on historic mapping. [2-5] The date of its desertion is uncertain. The settlement now takes the form of a rectangular enclosure measuring approximately 50 metres by 40 metres. There are remains of buildings and platforms and a linear earthwork, which may have carried water from a spring to the site. The house is a ruinous stone built rectangular structure measuring 10.6 metres by 4.9 metres, and is dominated by the western gable end and chimney stack, which remains standing to its full height.  Two intact farm buildings are visible on 1947 aerial photography at the Darlick Moors farm site. [7-8] The infield and platforms described above, as well as the ruined building, are visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks. The date of desertion is uncertain, but as a census return for the property from 1911 exists, it must have been after this date. [10-12] The 2020 MasterMap data labels the site "Darlick" and records a rectangular unroofed structure, together with other features on the site.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7410 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1911. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press. 300.
- <2> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Somerset 56(5). [Mapped feature: #37778 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 56(5).
- <5> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 15NE.
- <6> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 January 1995.
- <7> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7733a.
- <8> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. CPE/UK/1980 3374 (April 1947).
- <9> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 12/055 (May 1977).
- <10> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F61) 248-249 (27 April 1964).
- <11> SEM340858 Website: DC Thomson. Various. Findmypast.com. Findmypast.com 2009, 1911 Census (http://www.1911census.co.uk), accessed 17 March 2009.
- <12> SMO7578 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195. KT Toms, 17 March 2009.
- <13> SEM7404 Unpublished document: Webber, P. + Tapper, H.. 2010. Desertions in North Molton Parish.
- <14> SEM7620 Artwork: Brayne, J.. 2000. Reconstruction Drawings for 'The Field Archaeology of Exmoor'. Darlick farmhouse.
- <15> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <16> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1053787, Extant 6 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7778 3339 (51m by 37m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1053787 (Pastscape entry: 1053787)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17871
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/534
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE40
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1053787
Record last edited
Oct 6 2021 2:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.