MDE13277 - Shortacombe Farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
The remains of a deserted post medieval farmstead is marked Shortacombe on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map. (2) The settlement is shown as inhabited on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned in the early 20th century. (3) The settlement at Shortacombe is on the site of a medieval farmstead mentioned in a document of 1330. (4) The 1947 aerial photography shows the farm to be intact, yet by 1977 the farm was in ruins. (5-7) Pieces of foundations and walling of the farmhouse are visible with window fittings and joists scattered around the site. The walls have a maximum height of 1.9 metres and are best preserved in the southeastern area. The threshing barn is still extant. (9) The deserted settlement at Shortacombe is clearly visible on aerial photographs examined as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme. In addition to the ruined buildings, field boundaries and a water meadow system are also visible. The 1911 census shows that Shortacombe, North Molton, was inhabited in 1911, indicating it was abandoned after this date. (10-12)
- <1> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890 Devon Sheet 15.3.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905 Devon Sheet 15.3.
- <4> SDE69592 Article in serial: Annett, N.. 1976. North Molton: The pre-census population. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 108. P.72.
- <5> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. Gazetteer number: SS7633d.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4373. -/04/1947.
- <7> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/12/088. -/05/1977.
- <8> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. P.65 (site 77).
- <9> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Chapman, H.P. 04/01/1995.
- <10> SMO7578 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195. 2009.
- <11> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 709-10. 17/04/1973.
- <12> SEM7742 Website: 2009. 1911 Census.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7656 3398 (62m by 59m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1053924 (Pastscape entry: 1053924)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 15582
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54326
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60645
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/515
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE13277
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20423
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO521
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE54
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1053924
Record last edited
Nov 28 2011 11:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.