MDE13280 - Shortacombe Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Shortacombe Mill is in very poor condition. The walls are breaking away and there are holes in the roof. The stone building is 15 metres by 4 metres, with an attached outhouse measuring 4 metres by 2 metres. It is presently used as a lumber store. The outhouse used to be the wheel house, but all that remains of its machinery is a wheel shaft bearing support. Originally there was an overshot wheel of 14 feet in diameter, and 3 feet wide. Attached to the rear of the building are the remains of a stock paddock. In the vicinity are the remains of the foundations of several buildings. The mill was last used in 1922 for 'general farm duties'.  A roofed threshing mill wheelpit at Shortacombe Farm, measuring 5.2 metres long, 2 metres deep and 1.3 metres wide, is made from lime mortared, roughly cut stone. As the feature is not marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map, it is believed to be of a later date. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. University of the Third Age. A5 Paperback. P.99.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Devon 15(3).
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905 Devon 15(3).
- <4> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. HP Chapman, 4 January 1995.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1053959, Extant 6 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7655 3399 (15m by 15m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1053959 (Pastscape entry: 1053959)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 73 SE 515
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54326
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60645
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/515/1
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/515/1/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21572
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21703
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE57
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1053959
Record last edited
Oct 6 2021 2:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.