MDE13281 - Darlick Moors field system (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Two curving banks are visible on aerial photography on the western end of Darlick Moors. Fields and a trackway are associated with the deserted farm site on Darlick Moors. [1-3] A partly abandoned field system associated with Darlick Farm, North Molton, is visible as a series of earthworks east and west of the settlement. The field system is divided into two distinct parts. The western area is totally abandoned with irregular earthern banks, while the eastern area survives as removed field boundaries. There are traces of ridge and furrow visible as low earthworks. In the southwest corner of the field system, a possible track or hollow way can be seen leading towards the River Mole. [4-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 12/055 (May 1977).
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. CPE/UK/1980 3374, 3376 (April 1947).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7633c, SS7733a.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. CPE/UK/1980 3374-3375 (11 April 1947).
- <5> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North and H Chapman, 9 March 1995.
- <6>XY SMO7578 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195. [Mapped feature: #43641 ]
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1053969, Extant 6 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7753 3339 (1188m by 528m) Aerial survey|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1053969 (Pastscape entry: 1053969)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17864
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60646
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/528
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/534/2
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE58
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1053969
Record last edited
Oct 6 2021 1:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.