MDE1314 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Ilkerton Ridge, a bowl barrow, Grinsell's No 7 diam 7 paces ht 2 ft.SS 72074470. (1) SS 72044471. A bowl barrow (or perhaps a turf covered cairn) 8.2 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high. Surveyed at 1:2500. (2) SS 7204544708. A cairn 6.5m in diameter and of 0.7m maximum height. It is situated on the southern side of a shallow saddle central to Ilkerton Ridge about 320m above OD with excellent panoramic views and is evident as a heather and turf-covered mound of small stones.Given its situation, form and content and its proximity to the cairns (SS 74 SW 17), 300m to the NW on the northern side of the saddle, and the standing stone (SS 74 NW 18) only 40m to the NE, there is little doubt that this is a prehistoric cairn. Surveyed at 1:2500. (3)
- <1> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings.
- <2> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 MJF 17-SEP-74.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Sainsbury IS, 05-SEP-1994 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7203 4470 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35454 (Pastscape entry: 35454)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SW 43
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW44
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35454
Record last edited
Jun 25 2009 10:17AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.