MDE1309 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
(SS 7427 4450) Tumulus (NR)  Cheriton Ridge (Brendon 5b). A bowl barrow 11 paces in diameter and 3.5 feet high.  SS 7426 4450. A bowl barrow situated on a fairly steep west slope; 10.0 metres by 8.0 metres and 1.3 metres high on the downhill side. Resurveyed at 1:2500.  SS 74266 44500. A well-defined cairn prominently situated on a small natural terrace about 320 metres above sea level on fairly steep heather, bracken and rough grass covered slopes on the eastern side of Cheriton Ridge overlooking Hoaroak Water.The heather and bracken covered mound measures about 8 metres in diameter and varies in height from 0.7 metres on the uphill eastern side to 1.6 metres on the lower side. An exposed area southeast of centre reveals the content of small stones, probably collected from the nearby Hoaroak Water. A lowering of the cairn at the north-east edge suggests that it may have been robbed, but overall it appears to be intact. There is a slight spread of material about 2 metres down the slope in the southwest. A few stones protruding through the heather around the periphery may be part of a kerb. The cairn is a Scheduled Monument , one of two barrows scheduled under Devon County No.715. Surveyed at 1:2500. [4,5] The cairn described above is visible on aerial photographs as a small mound measuring approximately 6 metres across. [6,7] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  This site is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The feature is labelled "Cairn" on the 2022 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 113.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 17 September 1974.
- <4> SEM7731 Index: English Heritage. 1987. County List of Scheduled Ancient Monuments. Devon 14 County No.715.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 September 1994.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 279-80 (16 August 1972).
- <7> SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <8> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 29.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <11> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35439, Extant 12 January 2022.
- <12>XY SEM340925 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2022. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47785 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7426 4449 (10m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: 1993-1996: TS - West Exmoor Project (EMO6590)
- Event - Survey: 2007-2009: AP - Exmoor National Park NMP (EEM14906)
- Event - Survey: 2013: GPS - Hoaroak Valley landscape study (EEM14147)
- Event - Survey: 2015: SV - Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015 (EEM14775)
- Event - Intervention: Field observation on SS 74 SW 39 (EMO959)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35439 (Pastscape entry: 35439)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/15
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 647
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20012
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO112
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW39
- National Park: Exmoor National Park Authority
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35439
- Scheduled Monument (County Number): Devon 715
Record last edited
Jan 12 2022 2:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.