MDE1308 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
(SS 7471 4354) Tumulus (NR)  Cheriton Ridge (Brendon 5a). A bowl barrow 10 paces in diameter and 3 feet high.  A bowl barrow situated on a fairly steep west slope; 9.2 metres in diameter and up to 1.1 metre high on the downhill side. Published survey 1:2500 revised.  SS 74706 43543. A cairn, prominently situated at about 356 metres above sea level on the fairly steep western slopes of Cheriton Ridge overlooking Hoaroak Water. It is evident as a well formed mound, covered by heather and bracken, and measures about 9 metres north to south by 8 metres and is 1.4 metres high on the downhill western side. Probing revealed a content of stone with several large earthfast stones that are probably part of a revetment kerb visible around the western perimeter. The centre appears undisturbed. Its prominent situation, form and content suggest it is a prehistoric cairn. The cairn is a Scheduled Monument, one of two barrows scheduled under Devon County No.715 . Surveyed at 1:2500.  The cairn described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs. It lies within an area of medieval and/or post medieval field boundaries, and may have been truncated by them. [6,7] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 4.  This site is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme.  The site was surveyed in [MONTH] 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The feature is depicted and labelled "Cairn" on the 2022 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 113.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 17 September 1974.
- <4> SEM7731 Index: English Heritage. 1987. County List of Scheduled Ancient Monuments. Devon 14, County No.715.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 September 1994.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4124-25 (11 November 1952).
- <7> SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <8> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 30.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <11> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35436, Extant 12 January 2022.
- <12>XY SEM340925 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2022. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47784 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7470 4354 (12m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: 1993-1996: TS - West Exmoor Project (EMO6590)
- Event - Survey: 2007-2009: AP - Exmoor National Park NMP (EEM14906)
- Event - Survey: 2013: GPS - Hoaroak Valley landscape study (EEM14147)
- Event - Survey: 2015: SV - Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015 (EEM14775)
- Event - Intervention: Field observation on SS 74 SW 38 (EMO958)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35436 (Pastscape entry: 35436)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/16
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 646
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20011
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO111
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW38
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35436
- Scheduled Monument (County Number): Devon 715
Record last edited
Jan 12 2022 2:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.