MDE1308 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
(SS 7471 4354) Tumulus (NR)  Cheriton Ridge (Brendon 5a). A bowl barrow 10 paces in diameter and 3 feet high.  A bowl barrow situated on a fairly steep west slope; 9.2 metres in diameter and up to 1.1 metre high on the downhill side. Published survey 1:2500 revised.  SS 74706 43543. A cairn, prominently situated at about 356 metres above sea level on the fairly steep western slopes of Cheriton Ridge overlooking Hoaroak Water. It is evident as a well formed mound, covered by heather and bracken, and measures about 9 metres north to south by 8 metres and is 1.4 metres high on the downhill western side. Probing revealed a content of stone with several large earthfast stones that are probably part of a revetment kerb visible around the western perimeter. The centre appears undisturbed. Its prominent situation, form and content suggest it is a prehistoric cairn. The cairn is a Scheduled Monument, one of two barrows scheduled under Devon County No.715 . Surveyed at 1:2500.  The cairn described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs. It lies within an area of medieval and/or post medieval field boundaries, and may have been truncated by them. [6,7] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 4.  This site is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme.  The site was surveyed in [MONTH] 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 113.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 17 September 1974.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 September 1994.
- <5> SEM7731 Index: English Heritage. 1987. County List of Scheduled Ancient Monuments. Devon 14, County No.715.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4124-25 (11 November 1952).
- <7> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <8> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 30.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7470 4354 (16m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35436 (Pastscape entry: 35436)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SW 16
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 646
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20011
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO111
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW38
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35436
- Scheduled Monument (County Number): Devon 715
Record last edited
Dec 7 2015 9:30AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.