MDE1284 - Bronze Age barrow on Shoulsbarrow Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 71204016) Tumulus (NR).  A barrow 12 paces in diameter and 1 and a half feet high.  A bowl barrow 11.2 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high.Published survey 1:2500 revised.  SS 71203 40159. A round barrow 10m diameter and 0.5m high. This barrow is shown annotated Tumulus on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map . It is visible as a turf-covered mound situated about 445 metres above sea level on a gentle north-facing slope in enclosed ground. The area has been ploughed and is now pasture however the outline and diameter of the barrow are still clear. It has excellent views of the Chapman Barrows (MDE1061), Wood Barrow (MDE1283) and Bill Hill Barrow (MSO7127). Surveyed at 1:2500.  The barrow is Scheduled: Devon No.617.(Note: The NGR is incorrectly given in the list).  The barrow described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs, although it appears to have been reduced by ploughing and other agricultural activity. [7,8] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The site is labelled "Tumulus" on the 2022 MasterMap data.  A Scheduled barrow, smaller but more well defined than MEM22300 to the north. It survives as a shallow grassed mound and sits out in the field, high up the slope on a natural terrace. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 115.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 1 October 1974.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890 (Surveyed 1888), Devon 11(1).
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995.
- <6> SEM7731 Index: English Heritage. 1987. County List of Scheduled Ancient Monuments. Devon 15 County No.617.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3044-45 (13 May 1946).
- <8> SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <9> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <11> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35364, Extant 11 January 2022.
- <12>XY SEM340925 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2022. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47780 ]
- <13> SEM340754 Report: Wapshott, E. and Boyd, N.. 2019. South Regis Common, Challacombe, Exmoor, Devon: Results of a heritage impact assessment. South West Archaeology Ltd.. p 10-11.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7120 4015 (15m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: 1993-1996: TS - West Exmoor Project (EMO6590)
- Event - Survey: 2007-2009: AP - Exmoor National Park NMP (EEM14906)
- Event - Survey: 2015: SV - Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015 (EEM14775)
- Event - Interpretation: 2019: HIA - South Regis Common (EEM14815)
- Event - Intervention: Field observation on SS 74 SW 14 (EMO934)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35364 (Pastscape entry: 35364)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/3
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 659
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20024
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO99
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35364
Record last edited
Jun 15 2022 5:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.