MDE1284 - Bronze Age Barrow on Shoulsbarrow Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 71204016) Tumulus (NR).  A barrow 12 paces in diameter and 1 and a half feet high.  A bowl barrow 11.2 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high.Published survey 1:2500 revised.  SS 71203 40159. A round barrow 10m diameter and 0.5m high.This barrow is shown annotated Tumulus on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map . It is visible as a turf-covered mound situated about 445 metres above sea level on a gentle north-facing slope in enclosed ground. The area has been ploughed and is now pasture however the outline and diameter of the barrow are still clear. It has excellent views of the Chapman Barrows (MDE1061), Wood Barrow (MDE1283) and Bill Hill Barrow (MSO7127). Surveyed at 1:2500.  The barrow is Scheduled: Devon No.617.(Note: The NGR is incorrectly given in the list).  The barrow described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs, although it appears to have been reduced by ploughing and other agricultural activity.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 115.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1 October 1974.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890 (Surveyed 1888), Devon 11(1).
- <6> SEM7731 Index: English Heritage. 1987. County List of Scheduled Ancient Monuments. Devon 15 County No.617.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3044-45 (13 May 1946).
- <8> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <9> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7120 4016 (17m by 20m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35364 (Pastscape entry: 35364)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/3
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 659
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20024
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO99
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35364
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 11:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.