MDE12820 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Brendon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Centred at SS 7743 4385 are the remains of a prehistoric cairn. The feature consists of a subcircular, turf covered, stony mound measuring 5.4 metres north to south by 6.2 metres; it is 0.6 metres high. The centre of the cairn is disturbed by sharp sided, spade dug slots 0.2 metres deep. An animal scrape on the south side has exposed the stony core of the mound. The feature appears from its composition and form to be a prehistoric cairn; however, reuse in a World War Two context cannot be ruled out due to its proximity to other military features (see MDE12599).  The cairn described above can be seen on aerial photographs, slightly obscured by vegetation. It lies within the former Exmoor Firing Range, and numerous impact craters can be sen in the immediate vicinity. [2,3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The feature is depicted and labelled "Cairn" on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 August 1994.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4019-20 (13 May 1946).
- <3> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1042550, Extant 16 June 2021.
- <5>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38740 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7742 4385 (15m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1042550 (Pastscape entry: 1042550)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO487
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE140
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1042550
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 2:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.