MDE12818 - Possible prehistoric cairn on Brendon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A circular turf covered, earthen mound is centred at SS 7773 4384. It is 4.3 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. Its date and purpose are unclear, but it lies within an area used for military exercises during World War Two.  The mound described above is visible on aerial photographs, slightly obscured by vegetation. Two prehistoric cairns can be seen 50 metres to the northwest and 320 metres west of this mound, and it may represent the remains of a third cairn or other funerary monument. Numerous impact craters from the Exmoor Firing Range can also be seen in the immediate vicinty, and it seems likely that the feature would have sustained some damage at least during military training exercises in the Second World War. [2,3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The mound is depicted and labelled on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 August 1994.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4219-20 (13 May 1946).
- <3> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1042543, Extant 16 June 2021.
- <5>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38729 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7772 4383 (5m by 5m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1042543 (Pastscape entry: 1042543)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO485
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE 138
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1042543
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 12:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.