MDE12819 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Brendon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7767 4386 are the remains of a possible prehistoric cairn. The feature consists of a subcircular stony mound, 5 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high. It is heavily disturbed by animal scrapes, erosion and it occupies generally disturbed ground. Traces of a possible ditch survive on the southeastern side, although this may be the product of other surface disturbance not associated with the mound. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.  The cairn described above is visible on aerial photographs, slightly obscured by vegetation. It lies within the Exmoor Firing Range and numerous impact craters can be seen in the vicinty, suggesting it may have sustained some damage during military training exercises in World War Two. [2,3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The feature is depicted and labelled "Mound" on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 August 1994.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4219-20 (15 May 1946).
- <3> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1042548, Extant 16 June 2021.
- <5>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38739 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7767 4385 (14m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1042548 (Pastscape entry: 1042548)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO486
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE139
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1042548
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 2:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.