MDE12598 - Bronze Age burial cairn north of Hoccombe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7854 4406 are the remains of a substantial, well defined cairn. It was located during field reconnaissance. It occupies a gentle north-east facing slope on Hoccombe Hill and it is 8 metres in diameter (with a summit diameter of 4.8 metres) and 0.5 metres high. The centre of the summit is hollowed suggesting either excavation, robbing, or possibly disturbance caused during the World War II military occupation of the area (see MSO7776). Pieces of shrapnel and rocket casing are visible in the hollow, suggesting that it has been used as a convenient location for dumping such items as they are discovered from time to time. A second smaller cairn is visible some 110 metres to the northwest (MDE12800).  The cairn described above is visible on aerial photographs , slightly obscured by vegetation. It lies within an area of the Exmoor Firing Range and a number of impact craters are visible in the area, suggesting that the monument could have sustained damage during training exercises in the Second World War. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 April 1994.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 110-11 (12 March 1995).
- <3> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7853 4404 (14m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1036055 (Pastscape entry: 1036055)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO476
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE107
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1036055
Record last edited
Jul 19 2016 3:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.