MDE1253 - Lady Well, southwest of Lynton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Lady Well (shown at SS 7115 4904 on Ordnance Survey six inch 1962) listed as a holy well.  SS 7115 4905. Lady Well is situated in a natural steep sided combe to the west of Lydiate Lane. The hollow, containing deciduous trees and scrub, has been fenced to keep cattle out. The well, a natural spring issuing from the base of the hollow, lies within a stone built cistern, 1.7 metres square, which is sunk to ground level. Even after one of the wettest Octobers on record, water is only just trickling from an overflow pipe. The area below the spring to the north has been dammed to form a small pond which is now silted. No survey action.  A pond is shown on the Tithe Map at SS71144906 and labelled "Supply" and 153. The Apportionment describes it as a "Pond", owned by John Hooper and occupied by Richard Ward. It is curious to note that "Lady Well" is said to be in land parcel 156; this is to the northeast and is shown as including a quarry and a reservoir ( and MDE21070). It is not clear whether these labels have become mixed or the well has become associated with a different feature in more recent years. 
- <1> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 212.
- <2> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. T Brown (1960) Holy and Notable Wells of Devon, Part 4 (p102).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1993.
- <4> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||SS 7115 4905 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35193 (Original Monarch entry: 35193)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/18
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 674
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20039
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW20
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35193
Record last edited
Jun 26 2018 1:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.