MDE11214 - Martinhoe Mill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 6569 4698. Martinhoe Mill. A corn mill is shown on the 1842 Tithe map  but is no longer in use. The buildings are now incorporated in the present Mill Farm  and it is difficult to ascertain their original form. The mill wheel appears to have been situated on the south side of the present farmhouse as the leat is depicted cutting across this face on the Tithe map.The leat is shown as ending here on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  and the mill is clearly disused by then.  Farmhouse. Probably C18. Painted stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends. Stone rubble stack set just off the ridge to front gable end and stone rubble stack at left end of rear range, both with tapered caps and drips. 3 room L-shaped plan, with gable entry into front wing projecting to the left and into right-hand room of rear range close to the angle. Small C19 gable-ended single- storey service range projects from left side of wing. C20 extension to rear. 2 storeys. Principally C20 fenestration. Rear range has 2 paned window above projecting porch with lean-to slate roof and plank door. 2 light casement 6 panes per light with painted cambered brick arch to right. Inner face of wing has a 2- light casement 2 panes per light above a 2 paned window. Gable end of wing has a 2- light casement 6 panes per light over plank door with narrow 2-paned window to right. Interior: mainly altered in C20, including rebuilt staircase, but some C19 joinery intact. Roof not inspected.  Mill Farm. Nothing to see apart from the course of the leat along the top of the fields to the right of the farmhouse. Previous owner had no knowledge of its use as a mill over the last sixty years.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000. SS 6546.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1989, Devon 6(2). [Mapped feature: #41194 ]
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 July 1993.
- <5> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Martinhoe (9 April 1987) 62.
- <6> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 915466, Extant 2 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6567 4698 (41m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915466 (Original Monarch entry: 915466)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/3/110
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/89
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31435
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE21147
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21148
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE53
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 915466
Record last edited
Nov 2 2021 11:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.