MDE21147 - Post-medieval leat serving Martinhoe Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The mill leat is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] The leat is also shown on the 1963 Ordnance Survey map.  Martinhoe Mill, a corn mill is shown on the 1842 Tithe Map  but is no longer in use. The buildings are now incorporated in the present Mill Farm  and it is difficul to ascertain their original form. Water was taken off the River Heddon from a weir at 6573 4683. The weir is no longer visible (it was probably washed away in the 1952 floods) but the remains of stone facing on each bank of the river probably marks its site. The first part of the leat can be seen as stone-lined channel, 0.5 metres wide and 0.4 metres deep, infilled with debris, between the river and the west side of road near the site of the weir. The leat continues as dry un-lined channel along the wooded slopes on the east side of the road. Within the enclosed field the leat is well preserved as an embanked terrace cutting along the base of the steep slopes of Mill Wood. The mill wheel appears to have been situated on the south side of the present farmhouse as the leat is depicted cutting across this face on the Tithe map . The leat is shown as ending here on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  and the mill is clearly disused by then. The tail leat was culverted under the road but has now been filled in except for the last 60 metre where it rejoins the Heddon.  The leat is clearly shown on the 1842 Tithe Map.  Mill Farm. Nothing to see apart from the course of the leat along the top of the fields to the right of the farmhouse. Previous owner had no knowledge of its use as a mill over the last sixty years. 
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 6(2). [Mapped feature: #41193 ]
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000.
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 July 1993.
- <7> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6568 4692 (111m by 214m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915466 (Original Monarch entry: 915466)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31434
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/89/1
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE11214
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE53
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915466
Record last edited
Oct 20 2020 3:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.