MDE11182 - Post-medieval hollow ways across Martinhoe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Between SS 6755 4615 and SS 6750 4790 are the remains of a series of hollow ways across Martinhoe Common. Two groups of irregular linear gullies and banks are visible on the east side of Martinhoe Common. These may be old trackways. Also, a pair of short parallel banks are visible east of Greenwell Corner. The two main trackways are centred on SS 6766 4733 and SS 6796 4750. The short pair are located at SS 6770 4788.  These features are the remains of a hollow way route from the Woody Bay area south across the common to Parracombe. The route is shown on the 1842 Tithe Map , predating the existing enclosure banks, when Martinhoe Common was open commonland.The hollow way may originally have been contemporaneous with the field system. The area is now under pasture. The best preserved length of the hollow ways (shown on 1:2500 survey for MDE11179) still remains from SS 6774 4601 south to SS 6773 4660 and fragmentary remains, visible as shallow linear hollows are evident north and south of the road at SS 6761 4748, and near Greenwell Corner at SS 6765 4782. The remainder have been ploughed out, the route being superseded by the metalled roads.  A track is shown on the 1890 and 1963 Ordnance Survey maps, which survives as a hollow way up to 2 metres deep from SS 6775 4693 to the railway embankment at SS 6761 4634.  The short pair of banks at SS 6770 4788, Greenwell Corner, noted by McDonnell, are recorded as anti glider obstructions in record MMO1819. The area of trackways centred on SS 6796 4750 are recorded as a military training site in record MMO1828. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3190 (July 1946).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6747d, SS6747e.
- <3>XY SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. [Mapped feature: #37908 ]
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 18 June 1993 and 21 July 1993.
- <5> SDE323788 Report: Nicholas Pearson Associates. 2000. Lynton Water Supply: Environmental report.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. F Glover, 12 January 2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6768 4692 (200m by 1233m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915126 (Pastscape entry: 915126)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17953
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60567
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/51/5
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/67
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20699
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21634
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE34
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE36
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915126
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 4:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.