MDE10874 - Possible Bronze Age hut circle southwest of Woolhanger Woods (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A previously unrecorded feature. An apparently continuous bank enclosing a sunken area terraced into the hillside. A possible gap on the east side. Of unknown date, but may well be a prehistoric ritual feature in view of proximity to the 'henge'. May possibly be a prehistoric dwelling.  A hut circle centred at SS 6932 4497, on southeast facing slopes within improved pasture. The feature is nearly circular and measures 11 metres west to east by 11.5 metres north to south. It consistes of a near continuous bank forming a cut scarp 0.6 metres high into the natural hill side on its upslope side with a bank of material along it; and a pronounced, curving, apron like bank on its southern or downslope side. A break in the feature for 2.2 metres on the east-south-eastern side marks an entrance. Surveyed at 1:2500, August 1993. [2-4] N.B. This feature may or may not be the same feature as described in MMO2134.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Site visit and worksheet, TAP Greeves, 17 December 1980.
- <2> SMO4814 Technical drawing: Sainsbury, I. & Wilson-North, R.. 1993. South Common, SS 64 SE 20, 21, 22, 25, 46, 47, 54/ink survey . 1:2500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO5831 Collection: RCHME Exeter. 1993-1999. Exmoor Project.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 19 August 1993.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 26 March 2018.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 909973, Extant 10 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 6932 4497 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909973 (Pastscape entry: 909973)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE/65
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12589
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20365
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE46
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 909973
Record last edited
Nov 15 2021 3:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.