MMO2134 - Possible Bronze Age funerary cairn southwest of Woolhanger Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A small mound is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs to the southwest of Woolhanger Wood, Parracombe Common. Located at SS 6931 4495 close to the summit of Parracombe Common, the circular mound measures approximately 8.5 metres across. Its precise date and function are unclear, but given its location in a prominent position close to the summit of Parracombe Common and the preponderance of Bronze Age monuments nearby, it could well represent the remains of a Bronze Age funerary cairn. Further examination is required. [1,2] N.B. This feature may or may not be the same as recorded in MDE10874. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F66) 183-84 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 26 March 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6931 4495 (13m by 12m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1468997 (Pastscape entry: 1468997)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE10874
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1468997
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 1:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.