MDE1080 - Kentisbury Barton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 62234384] Kentisbury Barton Remains of (NAT) Manor House (NR)  West of the church. A large farmhouse with one three-light mullioned window remaining to the rear of the doorway. Datestone of 1672.  Mr Richard Richards, who died in 1632, purchased the manor from the Lupus family. It now belongs to H Bevis.  A farmhouse which is the remains of an ancient Manor House with date tablet RR/1672. A mantlepiece of circa 1400 was recently removed from its original position in the house. [4,5] A farmhouse which is remains of an ancient manor house, with date tablet AR/1672. A mantlepiece of 14th Century date was recently removed from its original position in the house. The north wall is modern. The date stone is set in the south wall, there is also a three light mullioned window and a wide external chimney breast in its eastern half, which portion is probably more recent than the east wall, the west wall, and the remains of the south wall. Owned by the Devon County Council and occupied as two dwellings.  19/2 The Barton Grade 2. C17 stone built house with 3-light mullion windows and date stone 1674. South front has a tall projecting stone chimney, 2 storeys and five casement windows of which one has stone mullions and dripmould. Slate roof. Round arched entrance.  House, probably of late 15th/early 16th century origin, remodelled in 1672. The original plan probably comprised an open hall with a storeyed cross wing at its lower end. The hall was later floored over, possibly in 1672, and the cross wing was almost completely rebuilt in the 19th century. Two service ranges were built to the rear of the house at the same time and the hall was divided to form two rooms. During the 20th century the house was divided into two residences, with the original cross passage converted into an entrance lobby. The house is two storeyed and built of stone rubble with a slate roof. The south front has a tall projecting stone chimneystack. The house may stand on the site of a manor house, granted a licence to crenellate in 1457. Listed Grade II. [8,9] The licence to crenellate was granted in 1457 to John Wolf for his manor house at "Kentysbery" at the same time a licence to Warren was also granted. [10-12] Lands and dwelling held by Wolfe family from beginning of King Henry IIIs reign until reign of Henry VII.  The house was visited in December 1996. It was described as a large chunk of 17th Century and earlier manor house with a big lateral chimney stack.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <2> SMO4764 Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1999. The Buildings of England: Devon. Penguin Books. 2nd Edition. 516.
- <3> SDE323771 Monograph: Lysons, D. and Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannia: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties of Great Britain; 6: Devonshire. T Cadell and W Davies. Part 2, 298.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Mr G Dennis (occupier).
- <5> SEM7708 Unassigned: Hancock, F.. 1902. REV Object Name Book. 1903 3.
- <6> SMO7321 Unpublished document: Rigg, J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 20 November 1953.
- <7> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Barnstaple RD Devon (March 1960) 32.
- <8> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . District of North Devon (9 April 1987).
- <9> SEM8066 Monograph: Salter, Mike.. 1999. The Castles of Devon and Cornwall. Folly Publications.
- <10> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings. Volume 46 (1988), 146 (Dr R.A. Higham).
- <11> SEM8067 Unpublished document: Charter Rolls. 129.
- <12> SDE336189 Unpublished document: Higham, R. A.. 1979. The Castles of Medieval Devon. University of Exeter Thesis.
- <13> SDE660 Monograph: Risden, T.. 1811. Choreographical Description of Devon, 1580-1640. 274.
- <14> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 71.
- <15> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6222 4384 (27m by 15m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34775 (Original Monarch entry: 34775)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/5/102
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12113
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/26
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 71
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20221
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34775
Record last edited
Apr 30 2019 4:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.