MEM23115 - Kentisbury Barton Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Kentisbury Tithe Map as three farm buildings to the north and east of the manor house (MDE1080), with the longest building tucked between the farmstead and church. This arrangement is repeated on the 1st and 2nd Edition maps, with a few small extensions and additions to the original buildings and further farm buildings being added to the northeast of the farmstead, north of the church. Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, further larger buildings have been added to the northwest of the site but a few of the buildings constructed after the 1st Edition map was published have been removed. [1-4] The site was visited in December 1996. The farm building were noted to squeeze in and around the tower and north chapel of the church, alongside the Sexton's house (MDE21309). A long barn and outbuilding were noted to have tall ventilator slots, possibly the remains of an earlier barn. The yard itself was noted to include buildings with cement render and blockwork. 
- <1> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 71.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6224 4386 (84m by 111m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 71
Record last edited
Nov 20 2014 4:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.