MDE1047 - Bronze Age round barrow on Higher Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Tumulus  Authority was probably R.Hansford Worth.  Tumulus located and surveyed on field document at SS66134227. It is well defined, about two feet high at the centre, and approximately thirty seven feet in diameter. It has a slight hollow in the centre.  [SS 6613 4228] Tumulus [NR].  (SS 6614 4228) Round barrow, 12 paces by 2 feet, under grass with a hollow centre. To the east there is, a slight extension of uncertain origin.  SS 6613 4227. The round barrow is 14.0 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high, situated in grazing land. Surveyed at 1:2500.  A turf covered mound measuring 12.4 metres north to south by 10.6 metres and standing to 0.6 metres in height. The barrow lies on poorly drained ground, and has been badley damaged by cattle trampling which has puddled the eastern side of the barrow in particular. The mound is therefore not that well defined. The vegetation of the mound is reeds and tussocky grass. The barrow lies on the crest of the west side of a shallow north to south valley, and close to its head. There are good views to southeast. From the barrow one can see what was formerly considered the vestige of a stone row, (MDE1048) but recently been described as almost certainly a natural feature. It appears to be one of a number of naturally occurring surface stones in the area.  The barrow described by the authorities above is clearly visible on aerial photographs as a low mound at SS 6613 4227. No trace of the excavation hollow can be seen. A second mound approximately 100 metres to the north has been recorded separately. [8,9] Round barrow, 1,234 metres to the north of ridge gate, in rough pasture.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 4.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7770 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 6 Inch Map: 1905. 1:10560. Anon., Ordnance Survey Revision.
- <2> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS64SE5.
- <3> SMO5314 Map: Large Scale / Small Scale Map Revisers Comment (OS Archaeology Division pre-1983, RCHME post-1983) . SS 6 inch (C. Atherton Reviser, 4 December 1957).
- <4> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <5> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 113.
- <6> SMO7303 Unpublished document: BUCKLEY, MHB. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 21 August 1972.
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 July 1993.
- <8> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/2549 3105-06 (27 March 1948).
- <9> SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181.
- <10> SEM7773 Index: Ministry of Works. 1968. List of Ancient Monuments.
- <11> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <12> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <13> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 34684, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6614 4227 (17m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34684 (Pastscape entry: 34684)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE/33
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2097
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20157
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO22
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 34684
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 10:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.