MMO2137 - Possible Bronze Age round barrow northwest of Brockenbarrow Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A low circular mound is visible on aerial photographs in fields to the northwest of Brockenbarrow Farm, Challacombe, and is likely to be a Bronze Age round barrow. Centred at approximately SS 6614 4236 the barrow is located on the crest of the western side of a shallow north to south valley, with excellent visibility to the southeast. It measures approximately 12 metres across and appears to be poorly defined. A second mound approximately 100 metres due south of this mound has also been identified as a Bronze Age round barrow (see MDE1047). [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2549 3105-06 (27 March 1948).
- <2>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #46074 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1469334, Extant 15 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6614 4237 (19m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1469334 (Pastscape entry: 1469334)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE148
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1469334
Record last edited
Nov 15 2021 3:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.