MDE1041 - Alleged stone row on Holdstone Hill, Holdstone Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 620 476 A stone row on Holdstone Down. This is possibly a duplication of the record for one of the three cairns or barrows to the northwest (MDE20203). Three large stones were noted on barrow 'B' by H J Wickenden in 1939.  Recorded as a stone row by L V Grinsell, but a dubious classification based on a reference of 1939 to three stones on a cairn. The site was situated on Holdstone Down where all the cairns have been completely destroyed.  Fowler states that the site may represent boundary stones used to demarcate the allotment when the Down was enclosed in the 19th Century (MDE21579).  Modern Ordnance Survey mapping (2013) shows a group of three stones arranged between SS 6202 4755 and SS 6204 4758 in a line. It is possible that this may be the stones that Fowler refers to above and also they may be the stones referred to by Grinsell. Alternatively, Fowler and/or Grinsell may actually mean the stones on the cairn at MDE20203. These three stones appear to be part of a much larger group (MDE21579).  This site was not surveyed during the 2017-2018 Exmoor Standing Stone Condition Survey. These stones are likely related to other monuments, possibly the 19th century boundary stones (MDE21579) used to demarcate the allotment when the down was enclosed. 
- <1> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 46, 189.
- <2> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 November 1989.
- <3> SEM7800 Article in serial: Fowler, M. J. F.. 1993. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A provisional catalogue of 86 North Devon sites. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 125. 155-178. 125.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. C Dove, 2 September 2013.
- <5> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018.
|Grid reference||SS 620 475 (point)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34670 (Original Monarch entry: 34670)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54046
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/86
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21569
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34670
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.