MDE1038 - West Middleton Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 648459) West Middleton and remains of Manor House (NR).  West Middleton, said to have remains of a manor and was mentioned in Domesday Book. Stone built house with slate roof and rubble chimneys.  Middleton was Mideltona in Domesday. It was held by Drogo of the Bishop of Coutances. Before the Conquest it was held by Edmer. Early descents given.  The farmhouse has been extensively modernised and refashioned externally - not outstanding, though incorporating some 16th/17th Century internal features. The main external feature appears to be a 16th/17th Century wooden doorway in the porch.  In 1996, the following notes were made about the farmhouse: "House across contours, porch, big stack. Obviously ancient with high end raised up. Rather altered. Set back from separate farmyard." It was noted that the farm buildings had presumably been pushed away from close to the front of the house.  The building was visited as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Monument record reviewed as part of NRHE to HER pilot project. 
- <1> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Barnstaple RD Devon (March 1960) 40.
- <3> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. 400, 463, 468, 470, 477, 493.
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 16 August 1972.
- <5> SMO1874 Photograph: Fletcher, M.. WEST MIDDLETON MANOR HOUSE. OS72F9/5A. B/W.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 60.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <8> SEM8323 Archive: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER prototype website test. 34661.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 647 459 (24m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34661 (Original Monarch entry: 34661)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/2/118/1
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12086
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/8
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20200
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34661
Record last edited
Sep 28 2020 12:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.