MEM23103 - West Middleton Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map and labelled West Middleton. It has a series of small enclosures to its north and west, which are mostly depicted in the same form on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and one of which includes an area of orchard. A pond is also shown at SS 6479 4587 but this had been removed at some point after 2nd Edition map was surveyed. [1-4] The site was visited in December 1996. The house is set back from the main historic farmyard and the late 20th Century farm centre is south of this farmstead. The original farm was clearly a prosperous ancient farm. 
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 60.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6480 4591 (191m by 108m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Post-medieval barn at West Middleton Farm (Building) (MEM22506)
- Parent of: Post-medieval shippon at West Middleton Farm (Building) (MEM22505)
- Parent of: Post-medieval stable range adjacent to West Middleton Farmhouse (Building) (MEM22693)
- Parent of: West Middleton Farmhouse (Building) (MDE1038)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 60
Record last edited
Sep 28 2020 12:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.