Site Event/Activity record EEM14964 - 2018: MS; RS - Codsend Moor
A study involving magnetometry and resistivity survey examining aspects of an extensive prehistoric settlement and field system on Codsend Moor following work completed by the Exmoor Mires Partnership. A metric and photographic archaeological survey was undertaken as part of the same programme of work before and during the geophysical survey. This work, and earlier studies of the landscape of Codsend and Hoar Moors, created the research questions investigated in the geophysical survey. A number of anomalies were thought to suggest the survival of potential buried archaeology. A large and prominent enclosure was found to have an enclosing external ditch, a few possible internal features and a likely original entrance from the southwest. A number of other features, including four hut circles, enclosures and field boundaries were also examined.
- <1> SEM340938 Report: Dean, R. and Edwards, M.. 2019. An archaeological magnetometer and resistance survey: Codsend Moor, Cutcombe, Exmoor National Park. Substrata.
|Location||Codsend Moor, Cutcombe, Somerset|
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8689 4064 (576m by 452m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- MSO9200 Area of prehistoric field system on Codsend and Hoar Moors (Monument)
- MSO10411 Mound on Hoar Moor (Monument)
- MSO11849 Possible enclosure on Codsend Moors (Monument)
- MSO9199 Possible post-medieval water meadows on Codsend and Hoar Moors (Monument)
- MSO9191 Prehistoric hillslope enclosure on Codsend Moor (Monument)
- MSO9193 Prehistoric settlement and field system at Codsend Moor (Monument)
Record last edited
Jan 25 2022 10:26AM