Site Event/Activity record EEM14155 - 2012: TS - Wintershead, Mires Project
A survey of Wintershead was undertaken for the Exmoor Mires Project on behalf of the Exmoor National Park Authority, following the discovery of a probable prehistoric burial mound close to an area of erosion where prehistoric worked flint has been recovered. The aims of the survey were twofold: to identify, locate, record and interpret extant archaeological features, and to record the topography of the area. During fieldwork all the features recorded in the Engligh Heritage National Monuments Record and in the Mire walkover survey were located, photographed and recorded. Prospection for new sites was undertaken and these were recorded in the same way. Topographic detail and all the extant archaeological features were surveyed at a scale of 1: 500 using survey grade differential GPS. A detailed earthwork survey of the probable prehistoric burial mound was undertaken at a scale of 1:100. A contour survey was carried out based on points recorded at 5 metre intervals across the survey area. The area of the mire could not be surveyed due to ground conditions, but its edge was recorded.
- <1> SEM8042 Report: Riley. H.. 2012. Metric survey of Wintershead, Exmoor Mires Project: Project report.
- <2> SEM8196 Monograph: Bray, L. S.. 2015. The Past and The Peat: Archaeology and peatland restoration on Exmoor. Exmoor National Park Authority. 1st Edition.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1609389, Extant 23 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7662 3729 (207m by 303m) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- MEM22585 Linear earthwork of unknown date on Wintershead (Monument)
- MEM22588 Post-medieval ditches on Wintershead (Monument)
- MEM22587 Post-medieval drainage ditch on Wintershead (Monument)
- MMO2932 Post-medieval peat cutting on Deer Park and Little Halscombe (Monument)
- MEM22553 Post-medieval prospecting feature on Deer Park (Monument)
- MEM22554 Post-medieval prospecting pit on Deer Park (Monument)
- MEM22589 Post-medieval tracks on Wintershead (Monument)
- MEM22552 Prehistoric burial mound on Deer Park (Monument)
Child/subsequent Site Events/Activities (1)
- EEM14738 2013: Eval - Wintershead, Mires Project
Record last edited
Nov 23 2021 4:49PM