MMO2932 - Post-medieval peat cutting on Deer Park and Little Halscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks covering an area of approximately 81 hectares on Deer Park and parts of Little Halscombe, Exmoor. The earthworks are centred on SS 7687 3757 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 12 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 75 metres across. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the west on Burcombe, and to the south on Long Holcombe. [1-3] A large scale metric survey of an area of earthworks on Wintershead was undertaken by Hazel Riley in 2012 as part of the Exmoor Mires Project. The survey area was located on the edge of an extensive area of peat cutting on Deer Park, as recorded above from air photographs as part of the National Mapping Programme for Exmoor. There is evidence of shallow peat cutting across the east edge of the survey area. Two small, well-defined areas are seen and on the west edge of the hollow is a slight amorphous mound measuring 2.5 metres north-south, 2 metres east-west and 0.25 metres high.  A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 171-72 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 232-3.
- <3> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <4> SEM8042 Report: Riley. H.. 2012. Metric survey of Wintershead, Exmoor Mires Project: Project report. 5.
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7680 3755 (1260m by 1013m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487437 (Original Monarch entry: 1487437)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument): EDP13(104)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE135
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1487437
Record last edited
Aug 18 2015 3:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.