MSO11721 - St Giles Church and Churchyard, Hawkridge
|Name:||St Giles Church and Churchyard, Hawkridge|
|Type of Record:||Building|
|Grid Reference:||SS 861 306|
|Parish:||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
A parish church, mostly Perpendicular but with a Norman south door and with a chancel and base of tower dating to the 14th Century. It was restored in 1878. There is a Norman font inside.
Norman doorway at St Giles' Church, Hawkridge © Exmoor National Park Authority
Font, St Giles' Church, Hawkridge © Exmoor National Park Authority
St Giles' Church, Hawkridge © Exmoor National Park Authority
Hawkridge. 2006 © Exmoor National Park Authority
- CHURCHYARD (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- Listed Building (II*) 1174221: CHURCH OF ST GILES
The church consists only of a nave and chancel with a tower at the west end. The fabric includes an east window and buttresses in the early Decorated style as well as early Norman features, such as a doorway on the north side of the tower and a circular font. The tower is 19th Century. In normal use. 
Graveyard in use since at least medieval times. 
The remains of a medieval cross comprising a socket stone and a small stump of shaft survive in the churchyard. The socket stone is square at the bottom with sides of 0.7 metres, reducing to an octagon with broached corners. 
The first rector was appointed in 1318. 
In c. 1992 the western end of the oak vaulting was replaced after being damaged by scaffolding which was being used during repairs to the tower. 
A wooden memorial commemorates two members of the parish who died in World War One. The memorial consists of an arched wooden board flanked by two fluted flat columns. 
The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
<1> Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1965, SS83SE, 4 (Map). SSO1695.
<2> Pevsner, N., 1958, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, 192 (Monograph). SMO5711.
<3> Allen, N.V., 1974, Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, 57 (Monograph). SSO727.
<4> Aston, M, 13.12.76, Somerset County Council (Unassigned). SSO767.
<5> Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1965, SS83SE, 7 (Map). SSO1695.
<6> Royal Archaeological Institute, 1844 onwards, The Archaeological Journal, Volume 7 (1850), 300 (Serial). SMO5332.
<7> Church of St Giles information pamphlet (Monograph). SSO82.
<8> Chapman, H.P., Field Investigators Comments, RCHME Field Investigation, 26 January 1995 (Unpublished document). SMO7304.
<9> Imperial War Museum, United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials, UKNIWM reference: 24603 (Website). SSO693.
<10> Lawrence, G., 2014, Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13 (Report). SEM8060.
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/18/161
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601467
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10793
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8674
- Local List Status (No)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE4
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35771
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31295
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34288
|Date Last Edited:||Jan 30 2017 12:55PM|
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please