Source/Archive record SEM8352 - West Somerset District. Porlock. Capes Stores.

Type Report
Title West Somerset District. Porlock. Capes Stores.
Author/Originator
Date/Year 1982
Somerset Vernacular Building Research Group report

Abstract/Summary

The eastern part of the property (then named Capes Stores, now named Sanctuary Cottage) was surveyed in February 1982. The complete house was noted to be rubble built with two front doorways and two lateral chimneys. The roof was thatched and the front elevation included modern wooden windows. The eastern end included a shop that was connected to the eastern cottage. This cottage was of a three room and entry plan with an unknown relationship to the western end. The room at the eastern end included a large front fireplace with modern surround and three beams with ovolo moulding. A stair turret and small mural cupboard with a frame inscribed with "IH", "AH" and "1624", were also in this room. The roof was not inspected and the features seen were thought to date to the 17th Century.

External Links (0)

Referenced Monuments (1)

  • Old Rose and Crown and Cape's Stores, High Street, Porlock (Building)

Referenced Events (1)

Record last edited

Nov 20 2019 3:30PM