Site Event/Activity record EEM14584 - 1982: HBR - Sanctuary Cottage
Somerset Vernacular Building Research Group
The eastern part of the property (then named Capes Stores, now named Sanctuary Cottage) was surveyed in February 1982. The complete house was noted to be rubble built with two front doorways and two lateral chimneys. The roof was thatched and the front elevation included modern wooden windows. The eastern end included a shop that was connected to the eastern cottage. This cottage was of a three room and entry plan with an unknown relationship to the western end. The room at the eastern end included a large front fireplace with modern surround and three beams with ovolo moulding. A stair turret and small mural cupboard with a frame inscribed with "IH", "AH" and "1624", were also in this room. The roof was not inspected and the features seen were thought to date to the 17th Century.
- <1> SEM8352 Report: Gilson, R.G.. 1982. West Somerset District. Porlock. Capes Stores..
|Location||Sanctuary Cottage, Porlock, Somerset|
|Grid reference||SS 8861 4671 (point) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
- MSO10690 Old Rose and Crown and Cape's Stores, High Street, Porlock (Building)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2016 2:44PM