MSO9478 - 20th Century kennel block north of Dunster Castle (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A kennel block lies 500 metres northeast of the stables at Dunster Castle. It is a rectangular building, 40 by 25 metres, with four stalls and four enclosed runs. The runs are made of wrought iron work. The kennels would have housed hounds or other hunting dogs and probably date from the 19th Century . Not shown on the circa 1904 25 inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Probably late 19th Century. A small single storey structure divided into four compartments with wrought iron railed compounds in front. Weather vane on ridge surmounted by a hare. A good and unaltered example of an unusual type of building.  The building is within Dunster's Conservation Area and was associated with Castle Home Farmhouse.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  The kennels are depicted on 2018 MasterMap data but are not labelled. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. c.1904.
- <3> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <4> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p21.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9915 4360 (9m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1145491 (Original Monarch entry: 1145491)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 26/4/12
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10034
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12054
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE102
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1145491
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13471
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34912
Record last edited
Mar 29 2021 11:13AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.