MSO9443 - Brook Cottage and Old Steam Cottage, 24 and 26 Park Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Probably 17th century. Colourwashed rough-cast, thatched and tiled roofs, stone end chimney stacks. Two storeys. No 24 has two eyebrow dormer windows, one 3-light, one 2-light both metal casements with leaded lights. Three 2- light metal casements with leaded lights to ground floor. Deep recessed doorway, plain boarded door. No 26, one dormer window and one 3-light casement to ground floor. Modern thatched door hood. Forms part of a picturesque group of thatched cottages leading down to the River Avill and Gallox Bridge. (1) English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264703. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The buildings are situated within the Dunster Conservation Area.  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. The southern property is labelled 26. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p23.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39187 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 989 432 (16m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=521832 (Original Monarch entry: 521832)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/71/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/71/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12108
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 41932
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 521832
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34971
Record last edited
Jan 6 2020 4:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.