MSO9443 - Brook Cottage and Old Steam Cottage, 24 and 26 Park Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Probably 17th century. Colourwashed rough-cast, thatched and tiled roofs, stone end chimney stacks. Two storeys. No 24 has two eyebrow dormer windows, one 3-light, one 2-light both metal casements with leaded lights. Three 2- light metal casements with leaded lights to ground floor. Deep recessed doorway, plain boarded door. No 26, one dormer window and one 3-light casement to ground floor. Modern thatched door hood. Forms part of a picturesque group of thatched cottages leading down to the River Avill and Gallox Bridge. (1) English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264703. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The buildings are situated within the Dunster Conservation Area.  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. The southern property is labelled 26.  Mid 16th century or 17th century house constructed of roughcast with thatched and tiled roofs and stone chimney stacks.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p23.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39187 ]
- <6> SEM341168 Collection: Unknown. Unknown. Volume: Brook Cottage And Old Steam Cottage, Dunster.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 521832, Extant 18 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 989 432 (16m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=521832 (Original Monarch entry: 521832)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/71/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/71/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12108
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE118
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 41932
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 521832
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34971
Record last edited
May 18 2022 4:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.