MSO9352 - Post-medieval water meadow southwest of Hollam House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Fairly large banks and ditches making contour leats are visible on aerial photography. [1-2] A system of post-medieval field gutters form part of a water meadow, known locally as a catch water meadow irrigation system, which is visible on aerial photographs. At least nine roughly parallel ditches, up to 400 metres long, extend along the contour between 183 and 213 metres above Ordnance Datum, on a west facing slope of a steep sided valley to the southwest of Hollam Farm. The main concentration of gutters is centred at SS 9181 2832 and they continue as far north as SS 9179 2855. The system is partially masked by trees on the photographs. [3,4]
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. SS9128a.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Somerset County Planning Department. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 91, 8699 (September 1971).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/860 3143-4 (2 September 1952).
- <4>XY SMO7522 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 92 NW. AF1131882. [Mapped feature: #37950 ]
- <5> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9180 2836 (277m by 510m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1114394 (Pastscape entry: 1114394)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO658
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11141
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW22
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1114394
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33459
Record last edited
Jan 27 2020 11:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.