MSO9255 - Medieval or post-medieval rectangular enclosure in Mansley Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A possible sheepfold or ruined building centred at SS 9016 4060. It comprises a subrectangular stony area 13.5 metres by 10.6 metres built up on its downslope side by 0.8 metres and cut into the slope at its upper end. It may be the very disturbed remains of a ruined barn or may equally represent a small pen or sheepfold. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale with GPS, July 1997.  The earthwork remains of an oval or subrectangular enclosure in Mansley Combe are visible on aerial photographs centred on circa SS 9015 4059. As seen on the available aerial photographs, the internal area of the enclosure is subrectangular in shape and approximately 10 by 11 metres in size. Externally the enclosure is irregularly shaped and poorly defined. It is roughly oval or pentagonal in shape, although this impression may be caused by damage to the northern side by a modern trackway, and about 17 metres in diameter. It may be associated with a deserted medieval settlement to the east and the vestiges of an extensive field system that extends to the south and west, one boundary of which may abut the enclosure on its southern side. [2,3]
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North & H Riley 23 July 1997 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9040/3 (15431/15) 15-MAY-1996.
- <3>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #46606 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9015 4059 (21m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=1087919 (Original Monarch entry: 1087919)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO548
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10236
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW95
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1087919
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16289
Record last edited
Jul 27 2020 9:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.