MSO9251 - Bincombe Cottage and Linhay, north of Langham Wood (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
This is the area of some deserted cottages.  No further information. Possible that they have been confused with Bincombe Linhay which is shown on the Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division 6 inch map. [2,3] The Tithe Map for Cutcombe depicts some buildings here, although the digital copy held by the Exmoor HER shows that the original map is damaged in this location. There appears to at least be two buildings sited at c. SS 9085 4049 and SS 9091 4047. Only the field parcel number for the eastern building is visible, which is 680a; this is described in the Apportionment as "Scite of Bincomb Cott etc", owned by the Honourable Philip Pleydell Bouverie and occupied by Thomas Quarterly (on lease). It appears that Bincombe Linhay was not extant at the time the Tithe Map was surveyed.  By the time that the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the cottages had been removed and Bincombe Linhay is shown as an L shaped structure and labelled at SS 9090 4054. It is not clear whether the cottages were cleared before or after the linhay was constructed, and if they were ever associated with each other. Part of the eastern building's remains may have been incorporated into the field boundary depicted at c. SS 9090 4048. [5,6] Bincombe Linhay is depicted as an unroofed, unlabelled structure on 2020 MasterMap data. Only the eastern part of the structure is shown. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, 15 November 1977.
- <2> SSO1635 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SW.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 16 January 1984.
- <4>XY SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 680a. [Mapped features: #46608 Building on Tithe Map, ; #46609 Building on Tithe Map, ]
- <5>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46610 Bincombe Linhay, ]
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 28 July 2020.
- <7> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9087 4050 (82m by 76m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086592 (Pastscape entry: 1086592)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11191
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW48
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086592
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33521
Record last edited
Jul 28 2020 2:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.