MSO9112 - Kits Well (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Kitswell is said by FW Weaver to be a contraction of St Christopher's Well but no-one in the area knows of its location.  Kitswell Farm is at SS 970 426 in Exmoor National Park and was historically in Carhampton parish.  This site is recorded as PRN 33455 on Somerset HER; however, as it refers to a location within the National Park boundary, this record has been updated to reflect its contents. N.B. It is noticeable that Higher Kitswall to the southeast may also have been the location of the well; for example, a well is marked on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 9720 4254. This has been mapped as an alternative location for the site. [2-4]
- <1> SSO1264 Monograph: Horne, E. 1923. Holy Wells of Somerset. 51.
- <2>XY SEM8552 Archive: South West Heritage Trust. 1977-. Somerset Historic Environment Record. PRN 33455; Chris Webster, 29 November 2017. [Mapped feature: #44405 Possible site 1: Kitswall Farm, ]
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46432 Possible site 2: Well marked on 1st Edition map, ]
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 30 April 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9711 4259 (185m by 93m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975681 (Pastscape entry: 975681)
- https://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/33455 (Somerset HER entry: 33455)
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 04 SW58
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975681
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33455
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 3:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.