MSO8982 - Medieval or post-medieval leat at Barlynch Priory (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A possible post medieval leat is visible on aerial photographs. It extends south from a drain marked on the Ordnance Survey 1:10000 map, and runs roughly parallel to the River Exe, to the west of Barlynch Farm, until it reaches a ditch perpendicular to its south end. It measures 300 metres and is visible from SS 9285 2894 to SS 9304 2871. [1-3] The main supply of water to the Barlynch Priory was taken from the River Exe, 250 metres upstream. Barlynch Weir marks the presumed site of the former priory sluice. From this sluice a leat ran southwards towards the priory. Part of the leat has been covered with quarry waste from Barlynch Quarry. The leat survives in good condition in the field to the north of the priory ruins. The leat is visible as a ditch in the field to the south of Barlynch Farm.  A section of the leat was noted during resistivity and magnetometry survey in January 2020. The results suggested a brick or stone lining to the feature underground. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/860 3046-7. 02/09/1952.
- <2> SEM7578 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1976. 1:10000 Map, 1976. 1:10000.
- <3> SMO7522 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 92 NW. AF1131882.
- <4> SEM6892 Report: Wilson-North, R.. 1999. The Priory of St Nicholas, Barlynch, Brompton Regis, Somerset. P.9, 12, Photograph.
- <5> SEM340843 Report: Edwards, M. and Trick, S.. 2020. An archaeological magnetometer and resistance survey: Barlynch Priory, Exmoor. Substrata. p4.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9294 2899 (209m by 577m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132532 (Pastscape entry: 1132532)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO919
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10068
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW77
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1132532
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13791
Record last edited
Aug 9 2021 7:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.