MSO8971 - Betsy Mine / New Langham Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
"Betsy Mine, disused" is marked on the 6" map of 1962. It was also known as New Langham mine and was one of the Brendon hills Iron Ore Company works. It was the last of their mines to be opened in 1876 and had an engine house, 2 shafts and siding from railway at Luxborough station. It is believed that the shafts are still visible. [1-5] Centred at SS 9848 5330 is an area of disturbed undulating ground associated with the mine workings. These appear as amorphous faint earthworks and were mapped from aerial photographs. [6-8] The mine shaft and airshaft have been filled and the former spoil heap is being removed for use as hardcore. The uppermost level is collapsing, opening into the field.  The site was visited in March 2013. A large mound, presumably the spoil heap mentioned above, lies in the field just outside and to the north of the holding in a small field of permanent pasture. The course of the former West Somerset Mineral Rail (WSMR) line is visible just beyond it. The southern extent of the site mapped on the HER is now within a cultivated field and nothing was visible within the holding. However, two pieces of iron ore were collected from the plough soil. 
- <1> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE. 6" 1962.
- <2> SSO1911 Monograph: Sellick R. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway. P. 39.
- <3> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 6.
- <4> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3336.
- <5> SSO262 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 99. 8810.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF MCPE/UK/1944/2147 23-JAN-1947.
- <7> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <8> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9835.
- <9> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. P.15.
- <10> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. S Blaylock, 13 March 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 985 353 (216m by 232m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/maps.aspx?a=0&hob_id=1127997 (Original Monarch entry: 1127997)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO801
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11124
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE 46
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127997
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33422
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.