MSO8968 - Baker's Pit (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
"Baker's Pit, disused" is marked on the 6" and 25" maps. [1,2] It was one of many mines owned by the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company but primarily worked manganese. Workings reached a depth of 200ft with 6 levels and closed with the other Gupworthy mines in circa 1883.  Nothing remains of the engine house. The shafts are fenced off and overgrown but are believed to still open.  Located at SS 9680 3520 is a small area of disturbed ground visible as low undulating earthworks which are the remains of mining activity associated with the above mentioned ironstone mine known as Bakers Pit.  The site was seen as an earthwork and mapped from aerial photographs. [7,8] Site of Baker's Pitt and former Winding Engine can be seen from WSMR trackbed.  The shaft was described as being approximately 60 metres deep in 1995. The remains of Baker's Pit lie in an improved pasture field. The shafts are open and are fenced around. An adjacent spoil heap is visible as a very smoothed and ploughed down mound. 
- <1> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE. 6" 1962.
- <2> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 58(1).
- <3> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. 40, 45, 59.
- <4> SSO1548 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 25" SS9635. 25" 1974.
- <5> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 5.
- <6> SSO994 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 19.12.85. Dennison E, SCPD, 19-DEC-1985.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944/2149 23-JAN-1947.
- <8> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <9> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. P.24.
- <10> SSO162 Aerial photograph: 1994. DAP WD31.
- <11> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. R Wilson-North March 1999 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 968 352 (168m by 130m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127870 (Original Monarch entry: 1127870)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO800
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11121
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE43
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127870
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33419
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.