MSO8885 - Pulham's Mill, Brompton Regis (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Pulhams Mill" is printed on the 1962 6 inch map.  Corn mill, now a barn. Leat, now overgrown, from Pulham River at SS 9547 3149 and marked "old mill leat" on Ordnance Survey map.  It is shown as a corn mill on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but as disused on the 2nd Edition. [3,4] A number of leats, possibly relating to the mill are visible on aerial photographs.  A mill leat is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map from SS 95476 31387 to the west side of Pulhams Mill, suggesting that the wheel was on this side. The mill race from the mill to the river is not shown so it may have been in a culvert by this time . The mill leat and mill race are shown on the Tithe Map, with the position of the wheel apparently on the rear (north side) of the mill, with the mill race then continuing into the river to the west of the mill .  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, SIAS, 24 November 1974.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 1153-4 (23 January 1947).
- <6> SMO6666 Collection: Dyer, C.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93SE.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <9> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Shirley Blaylock, 13 December 2013.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1118133, Extant 4 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 956 310 (84m by 63m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1118133 (Original Monarch entry: 1118133)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO670
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11067
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE12
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1118133
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33364
Record last edited
May 4 2022 2:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.