MEM23566 - Pulham's Mill leat (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The leat is shown on the Tithe Map for Brompton Regis.  The leat is also depicted and labelled on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] Leat, now overgrown, from Pulham River at SS 9547 3149 and marked "old mill leat" on Ordnance Survey map.  A number of leats, possibly relating to the mill are visible on aerial photographs. [5,6] A mill leat is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map from SS 95476 31387 to the west side of Pulhams Mill, suggesting that the wheel was on this side. The mill race from the mill to the river is not shown so it may have been in a culvert by this time . The mill leat and mill race are shown on the Tithe Map  with the position of the wheel apparently on the rear (north side) of the mill, with the mill race then continuing into the river to the west of the mill  . The leat was mapped on the GIS using the historic mapping available. [1-3,8]
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. D Warren, SIAS, 24 November 1974.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 1153-4 (23 January 1947).
- <6> SMO6666 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93SE.
- <7> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <8> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 11 May 2016.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9557 3121 (197m by 355m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO670
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11067
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE12
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1118133
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33364
Record last edited
Nov 14 2016 12:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.