MSO8882 - Pound and lock-up, Brompton Regis (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A small stone built lock up with a well and pump alongside the south east of the church. "Pound" is noted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map. [1-3] The roof of the pound has been removed for safety and, according to local information, the low stepped wall to the E was built from the stone. The area of the well is extremely overgrown but there are plans to repair the structures.  Scheduled on 12 November 2003.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. M Aston, Somerset Council PD, 29 November 1976.
- <2> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 47(12).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SSO1049 Unassigned: Duck, Jackie. English Heritage. 22/10/2002.
- <5> SSO1138 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 21/11/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <6> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9517 3144 (11m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1118124 (Original Monarch entry: 1118124)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11092
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE13
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1118124
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33389
Record last edited
Jan 8 2018 12:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.