Scheduled Monument: Lock up 60m south east of St Mary's Church
Department for Culture, Media and Sport
12 November 2003
Date last amended
The monument includes a stone built lock up located in a prominent position towards the west end of the main street through Brompton Regis village. The lock up, which is believed to be of late 18th century to early 19th century date, was built as a temporary holding place for petty criminals who were being brought before the local magistrate. It is constructed of coursed rubble stone. Most of the roof has been removed and the structure of the lock up survives as a rectangular single-celled building which measures 3.5m from east to west and 3.10m from north to south. It is without windows and has internal dimensions of 2.4m in length, 1.85m wide with walls surviving up to a height of 2m. A rectangular doorway 0.9m in width and set 0.45m above the ground is located in the east facing wall of the building and was inserted during the consolidation work which was carried out around 1980. The original doorway located in the north wall has been blocked, but an upper door hinge remains in situ. Although an exact date for the construction of the lock up has not so far been established, it is shown to have been in place on the Parish Tithe map of 1836 and lock ups of this style are known to have been built from about 1775 to 1825. All modern fencing, gates and gateposts, the telegraph pole at the south east corner of the building and all modern road and path surfaces are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included. Specifically excluded from the scheduling is the stone-capped well located near the south side of the building and the ground beneath it. The well is not contemporary with the monument and lies within the margin of protection only.
Book Reference - Type: PERS COMM
Book Reference - Author: Viner, David - Title: Cirencester Lock-up and Workhouse - Date: 1994 - Page References: 2 - Type: DESC TEXT